January 5, 2014

In search of an old remedy

I was thinking today of a scene from "Downton Abbey" (indulge me -- it starts tonight!) where Anna catches a cold -- a sniffle, really -- and is sent right off to bed by Mrs. Hughes. She barely sneezes and immediately earns some bed rest -- and she passes that in her pajamas with a good book. Just imagine!

Now, I hardly want to trade in my modern-day medicine -- but when was the last time you truly got to relax while you were sick? Where you simply could loaf about, take naps as needed, read a book, watch a movie? Yeah, I can't remember either. And it's such a shame, since I understand from my doctor that my body heals itself while I'm sleeping -- not when I'm toying away on my laptop.

Despite my cold, I've focused more on Resolution No. 2 (the house) than 3 (relaxing) over the past few days. Sure, I called in sick to work on Friday, and I generally kept my work laptop closed so I could rest. But I had to help build an IKEA bed that day in time for our new mattress to be delivered. On Saturday, I stayed home while my pati dev went out to get groceries, but I spent my time indoors hemming curtains instead of curled up with my "Christmas at the New Yorker" (I'm still trying to finish a story from the holiday season).

I'm sure there are some who will say it's nice that we can be so productive these days while we're sick, mollified by Mucinex and Advil. But I find myself seeking that earlier practice of just resting when under the weather. After all, didn't Anna go back to work, all better, the next day?


No comments:

Post a Comment