January 4, 2013

The patience of a snowglobe

For the past two days, I've been working on taking down the Christmas decorations -- mostly at home, but a few at my office, too.

One "decoration" I won't take down, however, is a snow globe that sits on my desk at work. It was a tiny gift from a holiday party in 2011 that's come in handy as a tool to chill out in the past year.

I didn't think a lot of the snow globe, to be honest -- until a few weeks after Christmas, when I saw this Pinterest post. Snow globes could be more than mere decoration, the post seemed to hint; they could also be a tool to refocus and relax.

I'd been dealing with my own pieces of anxiety and uncertainty over those weeks, and I found the post simple and inspiring -- so much so that I created a new "Board," named "Calm," to pin it on.

I've kept the snow globe on my desk ever since, ignoring both the changing of the seasons and the fact that snow is never seasonal in San Francisco. In a world, a city and an industry that move quite quickly, it's been a great reminder to slow down and take a few breaths -- even if I have to shake my tiny "glitter jar" multiple times, stirring the snow and then watching it settle down all over again, to get the desired effect.

It turns out even the tiniest new action, when repeated, can have the greatest of impacts.

The snowman "glitter jar."

No comments:

Post a Comment