February 3, 2009

Workout #14: The First a.m. Workout At Home

I did it! I had a few hiccups along the way, but I did it: I worked out at home today, before work, before the sun came up. Woohoo!

The stumbles: I snoozed until 5:20 a.m. and then stood in the living room, gazing out the windows, debating if I should be running outside before 6 a.m. So I didn't start running until just about 5:45, which meant I had to cut the run short (at 29 minutes) and only had time to do arm weights (I opted to run longer and skip lunges, since I'm finding cardio's most important for me in losing weight). But I can do this: If I can just get out the door by 5:15 a.m. most days, I think I'll be able to do a run, weights and lunges. Testing that on Thursday.

In this inaugural workout at home, I did discover a few benefits to forgoing the gym for a more home-grown effort:
-- No chance I'll forget my concealer, pomade, belt or, God forbid, bra. (It's happened before.)
-- My apartment's water & shower products are much nicer to my skin.
-- I get to eat fresh, cold Fage for breakfast after working out. (The yogurt at my office just isn't good. It's one of the few foods we do poorly.)
-- The hills around my home provide for an awesome urban workout space -- more challenging than the flat-to-rolling trails I've been running at work.
-- No lugging my gym bag around. (Particularly important when I want to meet anyone for a drink after work.)

I just updated my workout calendar item to show that I'll be working out from 5 to 7 a.m. instead of 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. That should keep me honest and make it seem like a normal and expected affair each Tuesday and Thursday.

Woohoo!

1 comment:

  1. congratulations! that all sounds awesome! I too love Fage and think of it more as a delicious dessert than yogurt...mmmm

    ReplyDelete