January 19, 2009

Beck Solutions No. 2: Choosing A Diet

OK, look -- I don't even like the word 'diet.' I deal with it only as a word that also means 'nutrition plan' but has fewer syllables. I've never liked dieting -- probably because I try diets that are too restrictive or have too few calories.

I also have a wide-ranging palette. I grew up in a German-influenced household, love Italian food, have an Indian boyfriend and delight in yellow Thai curry, Greek salads and lean burgers. Know any diet plans that cover all those bases? Nope, me neither.

So I'm not going to pick a 'diet,' OK? I'm just going to try to eat healthy. I'm using the portion control guidelines I shared yesterday as well as the resources at MyPyramid.gov. I've thus far found the resources on the MyPyramid site to be a little disappointing, but the meal planner is quite useful in calculating calories. For instance, if I follow through with my cooking plans for tonight, I'll end the day at 1650 calories, with a few too many 'extra' points for the day. Good to know.

Here we go!

1 comment:

  1. The green book has a "diet plan" to follow. I did the calculations and it says I should be eating 1800 calories.

    But I'm going back to WW -- simply because if I think I can eat 1800 calories, my mind automatically starts trying to work in Snickers. :) Also, I really like the interface on WW more so than SparkPeople or the other calorie counters. WW is wayyy easier -- for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete