January 19, 2007

Cravings of a virus-infested woman

Do sick people eat brownies?

I'm asking because that's what I'm eating right now, despite the fact that I've had the stomach flu for six days.

First, we thought it was a hangover (hungover people definitely eat brownies -- but as you're about to see, I'm not hungover). After 36 hours, many bottles of fluids and one hell of an abdominal cramp later, it turned out we were wrong.

So, all week, I've see-sawed between nausea and supreme hunger, with supreme hunger taking over when I can get the nausea suppressed. And boy, have the cravings been wild.

On Monday, it was Domino's pizza. Sadly, I was on the road, for five hours, without one Domino's in sight.

On Tuesday, I slept. No cravings there.

On Wednesday, the pizza craving returned. A large Domino's deep dish cheese pizza was ordered. It arrived. I ate. I wasn't satisfied.

In fact, I kinda got heartburn.

On Thursday, finally, I thought I was well. I even got excited about a friend's Friday birthday party, to be hosted a local cheesy chain restaurant. OK, not so excited, but I made an attempt. This friend isn't the closest of friends -- more one of those sociable people you know who always remembers you for a party. The last time I hung out with him, I watched his other friends slam shots and beers like it was going out of style. It was more than slightly frightening.

Still, food sounded good. I went on the cheesy chain restaurant's Web site and planned out my meal: spinach dip, burger, Key lime pie for dessert.

Then, today -- well, I'm not so well. I've been running a low-grade fever since 8 a.m. and spent part of the afternoon at work in the bathroom, eyes closed, willing my slightly nauseous stomach to settle. At 4 p.m., I wanted to go back to bed. On the way home from work, I bought canned soup and ginger ale.

Now, however, the nausea's gone again -- and so is the canned soup -- and I'm eating, of all things, a freshly baked batch of Pillsbury brownies.

Strange? Yes. Like me? Tons.

Cheers to the uncommon. And to Pillsbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment