February 15, 2014

The joys of doing (almost) nothing

Two truths about today:

1. It was mostly a big, fat, do-nothing day.
2. I really needed today to be a big, fat, do-nothing day.

The past few weeks have been amazing, with trips to India, New York and (briefly) home, visits with old friends and the start of a new role at work -- but boy, was I ready to sit still for a while. I just wanted to stay in my pajamas as long as I liked and bum around after that in sweatpants -- watch TV, cook, make coffee, read, write, whatever struck my fancy.

So today, that's what I did. I woke up, cleaned the kitchen a bit, put some coffee on, fried some bacon and mixed up some pancakes. Then I visited with a friend who dropped by just as Vivek was frying up the last round of bacon and pancakes -- and the three of us proceeded to watch the Olympics. For hours. No seriously, hours. It was amazing.

After the friend and the boy headed out -- she for more socializing and he for some soccer-playing -- I settled in for two hours of mindless Internet browsing.

At 5 p.m., I decided I ought to do something -- so I mowed the yard (the grass was really tall, y'all). In fact, I mowed and trimmed the yard and swept the walks. I even figured out how to flip my trimmer around so that it would work as an edger, too.

See what amazing productivity you can get after (most of) a day of rest?

Now back to my sweatpants. It's time to watch Ben Fong-Torres narrate San Francisco's annual Chinese New Year Parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment