September 3, 2013

A successful staycation wrap-up

I took two extra days off last week so that I could have a really long holiday weekend -- and I am happy to report that five days off, at the end of summer, is a marvelous thing. I am heading back to work today feeling refreshed, relaxed and energized.

On my break, I remembered to look forward to things. Going to the Northwestern-Berkeley game Saturday night was a great reminder of how awesome fall is, with its college football, crisp nights and sweet flavors -- pumpkin lattes, Halloween candy and Diwali food.

The Northwestern Wildcats take on the California Golden Bears at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley. (Aug. 31, 2013)
I started preparing for my favorite fall holiday, Thanksgiving, with my re-planted herb garden (third time’s a charm, right?). 

Cilantro, sage, two types of basil and some California poppies for good measure.
I got back in sync with my writing. This is the third time in four days that I’ve sat down to write.

I sat still. On Thursday, I sat on the couch reading for three hours straight -- and it was pure heaven. Read, doze, read, doze. I finally finished The Orphan Master’s Son. I read about tennis. I read the paper. Ah, vacation!

Reading about and watching Novak Djokovic. An immersive study.
All in all, quite the successful five days. And now off to work I must go.

No comments:

Post a Comment