April 9, 2013

A no-travel week

This week marks a pedestrian but exciting landmark for me: If all goes well (so far, so good), I'll spend the entire week in San Francisco, something I haven't done since before Christmas. In each of the weeks since late December, I've either been on a plane or spent a night away from home -- and, most often, both.

Don't get me wrong: I love traveling. I can't imagine having a job I didn't travel for, and I certainly lobbied for the seven weeks off to travel around India. But I live in one of the most amazing cities on earth, and it's been nice to have a few nights just to sit here and enjoy that.

And enjoy it I have. I had wine and cheese and dinner with friends, watched Sunday evening TV at home with my husband, went to my favorite yoga class. I've worked two full my days in my own office, taken lunch and coffee breaks and biked and walked to work, just like any normal week. We even had stunning weather in San Francisco today -- with temps into the 70s of all things -- which made it all the better.

Too often, I find myself wondering, "What's next?" when things right here, right now, are just amazing. It's one of my life lessons from the past year that I need to enjoy what I currently have more, and to start worrying less about what lies ahead.

Maybe I can focus on being just as content as this cat I saw on my way home tonight. Cheers to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment