February 28, 2011

Day 1: Some Things Never Change



Sans context, this photo could be a bit difficult to decipher, so let me help: In the exit-the-parking-garage process at my office, there are two lines of traffic both moving the same way. It's a one-way path. That mini-van coming toward the car? It's going the wrong way, literally making its own way down the line by forcing all the cars going the correct way to move aside. Ah, India.

I had a fantastic first day back at the Gurgaon office today -- after nearly two years of being away -- with this traffic being the only mild annoyance, aside from the wall of sleep that, as I had predicted, hit me around 3 p.m. (Frequent walks around the office kept me awake until I got home and could nap at 6:30.) It's been wonderful to see and catch up with old friends, get a look at the office renovations and enjoy the less-harried pace of work (there's lots to be done, but fewer distractions).

My hosts treated me to an amazing cross-Indian-culture dinner this evening: daal makhani made by one of their mothers; Bengali fish; paneer; rice and rotis. And Rasmalai for dessert! Yum. Suffice to say I'm eating quite well.

Now off for an early morning video conference with the 'home office,' followed by work, lunch at Punjabi by Nature (grilled paneer tikka!) and hopefully a stop at the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment