April 25, 2009

Ah, Saturday



I feel like sleeping in and lounging around on a Saturday might be a sure sign of assimilating to a new place -- and if so, I've accomplished that task. I got up today 9 a.m., ate breakfast and video-chatted with Vivek, did an hour or so of yoga and then headed out to go shopping.

I spent all afternoon in Janpath, a kind-of shopping district in Delhi anchored, at least for me, by the Central Cottage Industries Emporium -- a government-subsidized handicrafts shop, full of marble-working, gold-working, painted wooden elephants, rugs, art and, my favorite, cheap handmade paper crafts, including stationery and journals. This area's like the stationery-and-picture frame section of a Borders, but at 1/5 the price (about $0.50-$1.50 each for paper sets). And the prices are fixed -- no bargaining necessary. Ah.

After picking up a handful of letter-writing sets CCI, I braved the bargaining-necessary marketplace along Janpath and picked up some nesting jewelery boxes ($2.40), a pair of leather juttis ($11.50) and, at long last, two news magazines ($3.50 total).

All in all, a nice productive day of relaxing and shopping. Quite enjoyable.

Other random updates:
-- Anshuman, my devar-ji-(husband's brother)-to-be, posted some nice photos of his trip to Chandigarh and Gurgaon. (Bhabhi ji means brother's wife.)
-- I had my first Indian mango! (Or at least parts of one, over a few days this week at breakfast.)
-- As a result of my Hindi lessons, I can now say, "Main bharat mai hun" (I am in India), "Office janna hai" (I need to go to the office), and "Dos Cokes, ice nahi, aur dos dosas dijiye" (Please give me two cokes, no ice, and two dosas"). Swell, huh?

---

No comments:

Post a Comment