April 17, 2007

Down with the 11 o'clock news

Why, oh why, do we have the 11 o'clock news?

I'm asking because I've come to the realization that I just don't need it.

There are few nights where I need a reminder, at 11 p.m. -- or 10 p.m. in the Central time zone -- of all the bad things that have happened during the day.

It's especially true, however, this week. I've spent the past two days localizing the story of the shooting rampage at Virginia Tech -- and quite frankly, after eight or 10 hours of immersion in newscasts, Web pages and my own interviews, I really don't need to be reminded of the horrible story that's unfolding.

In fact, by 11 p.m., I'm ready to kick back, finish sipping my beer and watch some frivolous TV. And if I, a diagnosed workaholic, am feeling that way, there must be others.

I'd hate to be the one calling for a sector of my industry to fail. But isn't there a good chance our society's collective anxiety might be better served by showing, say, "Mr. Rogers" re-runs at 11 p.m.?

I think so. So down with the 11 o'clock news. Up with fluff. Give us something that won't keep us lying awake until 3 a.m.

1 comment:

  1. I made the decision Tuesday to stop watching. I can't handle the aftermath media coverage. It's just too much; it feels voyeuristic and creepy.

    ReplyDelete