August 2, 2006

Earthquake No. 2

My roommate Crystal and I felt this 4.4 quake tonight while we were chatting -- me in my room and she in my doorway. My TV shook a little, and Crystal saw the glass of milk on my desk shake. No damage, Mom. A 4.4 is considered "light," and there are 6,200 of them each year, according to Wikipedia. The Chronicle tells us no injuries or damage reported so far. It took place 42 miles from San Francisco city hall.

The U.S. Geological Survey offers a pretty cool service where people who feel an earthquake can report what it was like. They've had 11,000 responses already, and the quake happened less than 40 minutes ago. Not bad, Californians.

I felt my first earthquake, just a ripple, this winter. It was a 3.4 temblor that hit somewhere in the East Bay, though I can't remember where.

No comments:

Post a Comment